OpenSsl is used in many places but not always for same purpose and not always fully.
With OpenSsl You can:
- Use openssl as a command line tool to create/handle certificates related files. openssl commands
- Develop programs needing cryptographic functions, then use openssl library libcrypto.
- Develop programs needing SSL/TLS communication, then use openssl library libssl.
- Extend openssl to cover new cryptographic methods or new security protocols.
- Use openssl to test SSL/TLS protocols or use some not yet deployed in your environment ( openssl s_server, openssl s_client ).
Command Line Usage
Use openssl as a command line tool to create/handle certificates related files. openssl commands
If you wonder what is the main use of openssl as a tool, you might be interest by what is CertificateLifeStyle.
use openssl library libcrypto.
use openssl library libssl.