This wiki is intended as a place for collecting, organizing, and refining useful information about OpenSSL that is currently strewn among multiple locations and formats.
OpenSSL Quick Links
Site guidelines, legal and admininstrative issues.
This section contains the automagically generated man pages from the OpenSSL git repository, and similar "man" style reference documentation. The man pages are automatically imported from the OpenSSL git repository and local wiki modifications are submitted as patches.
Usage and Programming
This section has discussions of practical issues in using OpenSSL
- Building from Source
- Where to find it, the different versions, how to build and install it.
- Programming techniques and example code
- Use of EVP is preferred for most applications and circumstances
- Creating an OpenSSL Engine to use indigenous ECDH ECDSA and HASH Algorithms
- More specialized non-EVP usage
Concepts and Theory
Discussions of basic cryptographic theory and concepts Discussions of common operational issues
Feedback and Contributions
- How to notify us of suspected security vulnerabilities
- How to report bugs, other than for suspected vulnerabilities
- General background on source and documentation contributions - must read
- Contributing code fixes, other than for suspected vulnerabilities, as well as fixes and other improvements to manual pages:
- If you are unsure as to whether a feature will be useful for the general OpenSSL community please discuss it on the openssl-users mailing list first. Someone may be already working on the same thing or there may be a good reason as to why that feature isn't implemented.
- Follow the instructions for accessing source code in the appropriate branches. Note that manual pages and the FAQ are maintained with the source code.
- Submit a pull request for each separate fix (also documented there)
- Submit a bug report (see second bullet, above) and reference the pull request. Or you can attach the patch to the ticket.
- Contributing fixes and other improvements to the web site
Internals and Development
This section is for internal details of primary interest to OpenSSL maintainers and power users